Thursday, April 8, 2010

I Like to Art





























So, long before I started editing comics, I wrote and drew and painted. A lot. Constantly, really. Of all the things I tried doing, from sports like soccer to singing in children's opera's, or playing way too many instruments poorly...drawing and writing and painting were the only constants. And they still are. They are the things that I have to do or I'll go quietly insane. 

Over the years my artwork has shifted and changed, though often not as much as I think it has, and sometimes more than I ever thought it would. I have a BFA in Illustration from The School of Visual Arts in NYC. Back then I drew pretty girls. Guess what I draw now? Pretty girls. 





For a long time I didn't really show my work a whole lot. Mostly because I never felt it was good enough. And I'm not sure I think it is now. But it's reached a point where I have to show it as much as I have to do it. 

I sketch a lot and I draw a lot and I paint as often as I can. I challenge myself and I try new things. But I can't seem to shake this need to draw pretty girls who, aside from being beautiful, are also just a little bit strange. Sometimes dramatically, with horns or tentacles. Sometimes a little more subtly with a just a touch of something weird about the eyes. 

I guess I'm just drawn to monstrous beauty, however you might think to define that.





No comments:

Post a Comment