Sunday, July 31, 2011

SDCC: I had fun!

So. SDCC. 

I've been trying to write up a recap for a week now, but I've either been working, falling into sleep coma's, or busily reminding people they met me. I lucked out and didn't get Con Crud, which I'm extremely grateful for. Usually I'm still recovering a week later, but this year, I'm feeling pretty good and haven't had nearly the same amount of post convention blahs.

This might have something to do with the fact that I had real fun at SDCC, took it at my own pace, and met some really fantastic people. This is the first year I felt like I was part of things, not separate, not awkward, not overwhelmed.

Now, of course, the convention is still enormous and crazypants. But I took my time, I didn't try to see everything (I didn't even go near the 2nd floor), I did some signings, and I talked to a lot of fellow professionals and creators. It was creatively stimulating, professionally gratifying, and just kind of...lovely.

I think this feeling is, in no small part, due to being a published writer. Now, I was last year, too. But it was new and felt odd and I wasn't really comfortable with saying that's what I was (as well as being an editor). I didn't really believe I'd earned it (and I kinda still don't). I doubt I'll really feel like a "real" writer until I do something that's entirely my own. But I don't feel like I don't have the right to call myself a writer anymore, and I feel more confident about my work...even though I know I still need lots of improvement as a storyteller. I'm just hoping I can get more opportunities to tell stories and grow.

One of the best things about con's is meeting people and catching up with creators in person. This year I got to meet George R. R. Martin AND Anne Rice. Whaaat? The reality that I've worked/am working with both of them kind of sunk in when I got an awesome hug from George, and chatted with Anne about writing. I never want to be the kind of person who's all name-droppy obnoxious...but I'd like to think it's okay to celebrate working with such wonderful storytellers and people. It's an amazing opportunity and one I'm extremely grateful for. I met so many cool industry folks, editors, writers, artists...some I've known for years, some are now new friends. It's one of the things I like most, how comics can really unite the people who work on them.

Then there was Womanthology, which I got asked about a TON at the show. I met some of the creators, which was fantastic, and I got to hear from many professionals how excited they are for the project and how happy they were to be able to support it and see it get such a tremendous response so quickly. I can be pretty cynical about this industry sometimes, and it was gratifying to be able to have something to be so positive about. 

I was sorry to leave the show really early on Sunday, but I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. I hope the rest of the conventions I go to this year turn out even half so well.




No comments:

Post a Comment