Saturday, July 28, 2012

Writing Excerpt - Girl of Glass (actually it's a poem)

This week, instead of an excerpt from a longer story, I'm going to post a poem I just finished. When I was younger I felt slightly ashamed of my deep love of poetry because so many people these days don't really understand the purpose of it and think you're some kind of wanky so-and-so if you write it. I can understand, the modern idea of poetry is not really my thing either, I can't slam to save my life. Also you won't catch me in a darkened club earnestly rhyming with candles...rhyming isn't my forte either.

However, I still love poetry. And I think a lot of people don't know how perfectly and viscerally it can express something you otherwise can't. This outlet became essential for me when I was recovering from my eating disorder, and has continued to be one of the most effective ways for me to combat my Brain Goblins and tendency to self-loathe. I can get ugly in a poem in a way I just can't seem to in a story, and sometimes you really need to let that ugly out.

Girl of Glass

Each night I peel

Strip and shed

my shrieking skin

Beneath that

Crawling meat

Sit bones of glass

stained brittle bright

made slick & bloody

with shards of spite

I sip my strange

My shallow shadow

starved

and swear

All sweetness soured

all silence screamed

So I eat

Down to the bone

To taste and shred

My self un-whole

No comments:

Post a Comment