Sunday, March 1, 2015

Being Pregnant

Pregnancy is weird and uncomfortable. I haven't really liked it as an experience, though I'm looking forward to the result immensely. I suspect I'm not the only pregnant person to feel this way. Ads and pregnancy sites paint this rosy picture where women are glowing, smiling, svelte things in white yoga pants with perfect round bellies and no stretch marks. The reality for many of us is a bit different.

How would I describe the feeling of being pregnant, overall? Well, I think The Dark Crystal scene where the Skeksies start screaming: "ESSENCE! DRAIN HER ESSENCE!" sums it up nicely.



How do pregnant people feel when you "joke" about how they're not going to get any sleep when the baby is born, even though we've been exhausted since the first trimester and it's literally impossible to sleep for more than 2 or 3 hours at a time during the 3rd?


When dudes say pregnancy is "no big deal" and women complain about it too much.



When people act like, because millions of women have babies, it's not difficult, scary, or dangerous.


What it feels like my baby has been doing every day in utero since month 7 or so.


How I feel about well meaning, unsolicited advice about how I should be more "positive" and concentrate on the miracle of growing life and not the fact that everything aches and I have to pee a million times a day and shortly I'll be squeezing a live human being out of my vagina.


When people say things like "all pregnant women are beautiful" when you say you don't feel well and are waddling around like a distorted duck.



Whenever anyone suggests that disliking the physical reality of being pregnant means you aren't aware of how lucky you are or won't be a good parent.


What I wish I was doing most of the time.


1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this! You should post to you tube --you'd get a bazillion hits ;-) mom

    ReplyDelete